A complete suite of tools, one common goal: to enable you, and your development team, to make changes to IBM i application code with the absolute confidence.
Part of an integrated (and growing) suite, these individual products provide you with the ability to unlock business critical information from your IBM i – and modernise efficiently.
With X-Analysis you can document, test and analyse your entire IBM i system including code rules, data models, application and data flows, call structures and much more.
Modules within the X-Analysis suite cover:
- Application understanding & analysis
- Code modernisation
- Database modernisation
- Application modernisation.
- Suite of IBM i analysis and productivity tools
- Automated graphical documentation so you can see IBM i application design & flow
- Impact analysis to track ‘where used’ information
- Extract relational data models from RPG/COBOL/SYNON
- Extract RPG/COBOL business rules
- Automated RPG/COBOL/SYNON/DB conversion
Everything you need to manage IBM i application lifecycle
X-Analysis’ suite of products have helped thousands of companies get new developers to understand IBM i applications faster. They also remove the risks involved in making any code changes by providing accurate automated impact analysis.
They exist to help you understand your IBM i applications better and speed up the work of your developers.
A complete view of your IBM i applications with automatic graphical documentation & impact analysis
Modernise efficiently using X-Analysis Advisor from Fresche to unlock business critical information from your IBM i. Modules covering application documentation; process mapping; change management; database and application modernisation; and code analysis. X-Analysis Advisor is fully integrated with RDi.
- Modernisation: X-Analysis Advisor allows you IT department to quickly gain an understanding of your IBM i’s business rules, speeding the process of modernisation.
- Fast Conversion: Automatically convert legacy assets from RPG, COBOL, SYNON and DB into modern languages and databases.
- Visualise Application Design: By automating graphical information, code implementation is extracted, and it is easy to visualise and understand application and flow.
Everything you need to manage IBM i application life cycles
You can use X-Analysis Advisor to quickly and efficiently understand your IBM i application’s business rules, code composition and dependencies, in order to reach strategic modernisation goals on-time and on budget.
X-Analysis Advisor automates graphical documentation to abstract code implementation, making it easy for your IT department to understand and visualise application design and flow. They can track “where used” information, starting from a single field or variable through all iterations and associated variables and fields, with X-Analysis Advisor’s powerful impact analysis tool.
The process of database modernisation and re-engineering efforts are made easier with the extraction of relational data models from RPG, COBOL or SYNON, and by extracting business roles from RPG or COBOL too, business rules are cross-referenced, consolidated and stored to expose the business logic at the core of the application.
Track and measure program complexities against established benchmarks, including Halstead, Cyclomatic and Maintainability Index, using design, quality and complexity metrics. X-Analysis Advisor automatically transforms legacy assets into modern languages which can be databased quickly and securely, with RPG, COBOL, SYNON and DB conversion.
Available as a complete solution or as individual modules depending on your needs and requirements:
- Analyse, manage & enhance IBM i applications: automated RPG, COBOL and CA 2E (Synon) application documentation, data model extraction and impact analysis.
- Application Process Mapping: extract and document business rules in your IBM i application processes and flows.
- Audit, Quality and Change Management: audit design, quality and complexity of your core application functionality to identify problems and enable effective changes.
- Data and Test Management: analyse and test data automation, management, quality, archiving, subsetting and masking..
- CA 2E Analysis: analysis and documentation of CA 2E (Synon) applicatons in one module.
- Open Systems Analysis: document and cross-reference Java, C#, PHP, VB/VB.NET and PowerBuilder code in your applications.
- Database Modernisation: convert DDS to DDL automatically including the creation of constraints, long field names and views.
- Application Modernisation: convert RPG, COBOL and CA 2E (Synon) automatically to Java.
“It’s very easy to run. It has built-in integration that makes it easy to port everything into Word, Excel and Visio, so the output is very professional. And it’s very intuitive — you don’t need a PhD to use the software. One of the biggest benefits of X-Analysis Advisor is its robustness. It gives you various drill-down capabilities and it shows all touch-points at a click of an icon. It’s very powerful.”
Integrate X-Analysis Advisor with Remain Software’s TD/OMS
You can take advantage of Remain Software’s market-leading change management software application, TD/OMS to deliver a unified software change management (SCM) tool for the IBM i through extensions to IBM’s RDi LPEX editor.
Automatically generate interactive graphical documentation, charts & graphs of your IBM i applications
Move RPG and Cobol projects forward quicker: get more time to do more development. Delivering exceptional ROI, X-Analysis View (formerly Fresche View), powered by X-Analysis Advisor is a powerful tool that enables you to get in-depth understanding your IBM i (AS400) applications so you can move development projects forward faster and onboard new developers more quickly.
X-Analysis View automatically generates interactive graphical documentation, charts and graphs.
What X-Analysis View can help you to achieve
- Make code changes with confidence: Achieve better development, faster testing and greatly reduced risk through a deep understanding of the impact across all your IBM i (AS400, iSeries, System i) applications, including any downstream consequences of the code changes you want to make.
- Move projects forward quicker: Estimate IT project resource requirements more accurately. X-Analysis View highlights cascading effects of change plus where to focus testing efforts by showing the objects impacted by a change.
- Get new developers up to speed faster: New developers can understand RPG and COBOL applications faster so they can contribute quicker and work autonomously. Developers can quickly explore and navigate applications graphically at a high level with the ability to drill up or down.
IBM i (AS400, iSeries, System i) applications are often large and complex, so when you are making changes to your applications, just how confident are you that nothing will go wrong with the code changes you make?
And, if you have new developers starting in your organisation, just how long does it take for them to get up to speed so you are comfortable with them making code or database changes?
X-Analysis View is a new way to get in-depth understanding your IBM i applications so you can move development projects forward faster and onboard new developers more quickly. With X-Analysis View your developers get a complete 360-degree view of your IBM i environment with automated, graphical documentation and impact analysis. As a result, your developers can spend less time maintaining your existing applications and more time actually developing.
X-Analysis View is fully integrated with RDi and helps you and your developers to fully understand your application code, data models and the possible impact of any changes to your system before any development work is done. Your developers will have insight into the applications and data which significantly reduces the time and effort required to modify, maintain and test applications on the IBM i.
Key features in X-Analysis View
Powered by X-Analysis Advisor, X-Analysis View provides on-demand IBM i (AS400, iSeries, System i) application documentation in a graphical format. X-Analysis View includes the visual documentation component, the impact analysis component and data model of X-Analysis Advisor and customers can upgrade to the full version of X-Analysis Advisor at anytime, which brings additional features such as code generation and database migration capabilities.
- Interactive graphical documentation: X-Analysis View generates automated graphical documentation and data flow diagrams, which make it easy for developers to visualise IBM i applications. Program control through call stack is shown, RPG is displayed in easy-to-read pseudo code and object use, access, parameters, etc. are provided.
- Drill-downs for discovery: X-Analysis View’s powerful drill-down and drill-up capabilities ensure that developers get precisely the level of detail they need. Detail right down to the source code is provided while variables can be traced through multiple layers. Applications can be browsed from anywhere.
- Where used functions: Powerful impact analysis tracks ‘where used’ information throughout the application and database. X-Analysis View tracks variables through all iterations and associations, while every object affected by a change is highlighted. Document system functionality is included for application auditing and planning.
- Relational data models: Relational data modelling of your IBM i application databases provides a deeper understanding of your business. X-Analysis View automatically extracts from DDS, DB objects and source, which provides a working model to support IT and the wider business. All related database files are also shown.
Automate (and simplify) your 5250 UI testing
Providing flexible, but highly automated, 5250 green screen user interface (UI) testing, X-Replay helps you to develop higher quality – and intuitive – IBM i applications.
With a simple three-step process, X-Replay records your interactive tests, replays them for you automatically and then displays a dashboard to let you know if the results are as expected.
X-Replay also automatically creates test scripts that you can re-run and modify as required (using WHILE loops and other logic).
By eliminating manual testing, X-Replay ensures you and your development team have a thorough and repeatable process for testing. This let’s you make changes to the user interface (and experience) quickly and confidently.
You can test an entire interface, one or more screens or just certain elements in a screen to ensure the best possible experience for your users.
If you’re looking for database regression testing and managing your test data more effectively, X-Replay integrates easily with another product within the X-Analysis suite, X-Dataset or Code Coverage.
How X-Replay works
- Record: Select the 5250 screen elements you want to validate – and start recording your test.
- Replay: You can re-run (and modify) tests from scripts that X-Replay automatically creates.
- Report: Analyse results through the X-Replay dashboard and find exactly where you may have issues with your code.
Providing the tools & skills for IBM i application development
We’ve worked with a host of companies over the years who depend on the IBM i to run business-critical applications. We’ve been able to provide development, change management and security products as well as support, maintenance and modernisation resources. Read the case studies below to see how they are making the best use of their IBM i.