Assembly manufacturing completely transformed the manufacturing industry when it was first introduced: mass production became a reality.
Nowadays, many of our most valuable goods, from cars to household electronics, are produced in an assembly line environment.
The key, of course, to assembly manufacturing is speed and increased productivity. Henry Ford famously cut production time of his Model T cars from 12 hours to 94 minutes by introducing assembly lines to his manufacturing plants.
ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) software is another innovation that helps manufacturers to be more efficient by dynamically integrating and optimising processes.
So why do assembly manufacturers shy away from implementing ERP software?
For those unsure of exactly what ERP software can do for assembly manufacturers, this post will tell you how assembly manufacturers use ERP software to make their production process even more efficient.
What is ERP Software?
ERP software is is a system designed to make manufacturing processes more efficient. The software will gather essential information, and distribute it to the managers and decision-makers who rely on data to keep your company moving forward.
ERP software can help you in running every part of your business, from sales to accounts, and from manufacturing to HR.
A properly implemented ERP system, with industry specific features designed for assembly manufacturing, can take your company to the next level, making you stand out amongst the competition as well as providing company-wide operational improvements.
Why Assembly Manufacturers Need an ERP System
Assembly manufacturers need an ERP system that has been designed specifically for their needs.
Before we explain exactly how an industry-specific ERP helps assembly manufacturers to increase efficiency, we're going to burst some common myths that might be stopping assembly manufacturers from even considering an investment in ERP software.
- Myth 1: ERP is only for discrete manufacturers As we've already mentioned, IQMS offer industry-specific features as part of their ERP, to address the challenges unique to assembly-line manufacturing, like production planning, lifecycle management and quality maintenance throughout the process.
- Myth 2: Only big organisations need ERP Every organisation can benefit from ERP software. After the initial investment,
an ERP helps you to cut costs and increase productivity, meaning that the return on investment is high, no matter the size of your operation. IQMS' solution is completely scalable too, designed to grow with your company.
- Myth 3: ERP requires dedicated IT staff for extensive customisation So long as your ERP has a simple, user-friendly and easy-to-use interface, like IQMS, adopting it in your business should be no problem, and you won't need dedicated IT staff to deploy it.
Now that we've cleared up some of the most common objections to ERP for assembly manufacturers, here are some of the tools included in IQMS' ERP solution, specifically designed to solve the unique challenges involved in assembly-line manufacturing:
How can ERP Software Help Assembly Manufacturers?
- Assembly Configuration Flexibility With options for both batch and continuous production, IQMS' manufacturing ERP for assembly lines will suit any combination of work centre, assembly line or application based process.
- BOM Management By creating multiple processes and attaching them to assembly-specific BOMs (Bill of Material), you can view every step of production. Assembly BOMs from IQMS can support unlimited processes in combination with multiple cycle times, with the possibility to create single or multiple part numbers, as required.
- Dispatch Lists Send your workforce operation schedule times and job details electronically, by allowing them to log into their specific individual dispatch lists.
- Labour Reporting You can also operate labour-focussed manufacturing with IQMS' assembly tools. recieve labour reports on a per-process or per-shift basis, and track details either at every stage or at the end, giving you the option to reject or scrap components in every process for continued visibility.
- Process Security To increase security, you could choose to certify your employees or your separate processes. To keep line clearance and final assembly approval secure, you can also assign manager rights.
- Product Lifecycle Management Track products through their entire lifecycle, from the quote and design stage, through each part of assembly and right to the end of the product's life.
- Production Planning Easily handly sub-assembly control and capacity planning, with detailed fabrication and assembly routings.
Are you beginning to see how industry-specific ERP software could help assembly manufacturers to streamline their processes, improve productivity and become more efficient, across the board?
Download this whitepaper, 'The Essential Guide to ERP for Assembly Manufacturers', for everything you need to know about ERP software in assembly lines.
MAXIMISING ASSEMBLY LINE EFFICIENCY with IQMS
Assembly and fabrication manufacturing processes are all about maximising efficiency. Assembly-specific ERP and MES System software developed by IQMS enables you to configure continuous and batch production schedules across every process type. With IQMS's manufacturing software you can create unlimited processes, handle single or multiple part numbers, easily plan detailed assembly and fabrication routing, control sub-assemblies and determine capacity within one integrated software solution.